normal
forum

Home Forums General Discussion Anyone Read the book Sapiens

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
  • Dave
    Participant

I just finished Sapiens. It summarizes the history of humanity and makes several great insights. One of the insights is an explanation of human cooperation by creating religious and other myths. In one of the videos Jeremy more or less says all human activites are based on bullshit. After reading this book I can see more clearly what he means.

I also wanted to note that this book also solidly shows just how much we need the HC understanding. It’s the first real and true explanation of human behavior and cooperation. We dont need myths anymore!

Jeremy has explain WHY all the things described in Sapiens happened.

This book was a big eye opener for me.

Thanks to Jeremy and everyone at the WTM for your vital work. I love you guys!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Dave.

• PaulM
    Participant

I definitely agree with you Dave that books like ‘Sapiens’ show just how much we need Jeremy Griffith’s understandings of the human condition, but if I am reading you correctly, I don’t think in the way you mean. There is nothing in ‘Sapiens’ that sheds any truth on humanity’s origins or history at all and in fact, takes us further into what Griffith and Plato called the cave of denial.
    The author Harari does not recognize that our instinctive heritage is cooperative. He says that 2million years ago our ancestors ‘competed for status and power’ just like ‘chimpanzees, baboons and elephants’. He argues that humans came to dominate the planet because of our ability to cooperate in large numbers and that this ability arose from our unique capacity to believe in things purely in the imagination, such as (he says), Gods, nations, money and human rights. In contrast, Griffith explains that the meaning of life is integrative, and that cooperation and love is our natural instinctive state, but that the emergence of the human condition meant we had to deny this state. Jeremy explains that religion is where humanity has preserved the truth of integrative meaning and our cooperative past.
    Its probably important to say too that Griffith does indeed reveal the extent of our denial and upset, and all our falseness and artificiality that has resulted under the duress of the human condition, but its always under the framework of that upset behavior being completely explained, defended and loved. Thats the ridiculously huge breakthrough here as Im sure you will agree. Anyway, I am with you Dave and would also like to thank Jeremy and the WTM for their vital work too – its literally world saving.

• Dave
    Participant

Hi PaulM, thanks for the reply. What I was trying to say about the book is that it shows what happened to us because of the HC. The author does not know about WTM info, but HC understanding can explain why a lot of crazy, destructive things happened.

Unlike religion and other made up myths discussed in the book, HC info gives us real understanding, real context and a real, natural instinct based path to follow without the need for myths. The HC is not a myth and finally humans can live real lives not based on total bull shit!

It has been going on so long it will hard to change, but change we must!

• PaulM
      Participant

Thanks for that clarification Dave; sorry if I misunderstood you. As you say, Sapiens does lay out the events of our species’ history for us to look at and using Jeremy’s work we can understand the whole mess now (even if Harari does not!).

• Dave
    Participant

I wish Harari would read Freedom. In the book he says how is it possible that bonobos live in female dominated societies, but why not humans. We cooperate, so why not female leaders? He concludes “we don’t know” why men dominate. This and a million other questions are clearly answered in Freedom. The thing I really like about Sapiens is it clearly asks the big questions that Freedom can answer.