normal
forum

Home Forums The Science Article in the journal Science

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 1 year ago.

• Author
  • Dave
    Participant

A recent article the the journal Science (Did kindness prime our species for language?) describes how humans became cooperative by kindness. The article includes observation of bonobos. This seems to support the fundamental HC idea that humans are instinctively good/kind.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6401/436

Thoughts?

• Liam
    Participant

Hi Dave, This article sparked my interest too, especially given the reference to the remarkable bonobos. However, from reading Freedom I can see the article is really about the self-domestication hypothesis (SDH), which can be a bit tricky at first to see through but if you read chap 6.10 you’ll read there the very clear denial-free explanation that it is superficially persuasive but actually terribly biologically flawed in it’s attempt to explain bonobo behaviour and the origins of our moral nature. Self-domestication is an evasive attempt to explain kindness and gentleness in our forebears and bonobos without reference to nurturing, which is the all-important, critical and key element of our unconditional moral soul. This is an extract from Chap 6.10: ‘The truth is, domestication or juvenilisation cannot create this type of behaviour [selflessness] without there having been love-indoctrination, it can only stymie the growth of adult types of behaviour, and so Hare and Wrangham are having to exaggerate its effect to account for bonobos’ love and gentleness’. They then use SDH to explain all sorts of things like the emergence of language (Jeremy explains the real reason for the development of language in chapter 8:6). In Chap 6.11 Jeremy discusses why the SDH is actually a dangerously dishonest, misleading explanation having dire consequences for humanity which is obviously an important read. Anyway Dave those are my thoughts! I definitely agree with your overview that as Freedom makes crystal clear and evidences strongly, humans are instinctively good and kind.

• Dave
    Participant

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the reply and clarifications. I can see this explanation is incorrect because (like everything else) it is not based on a full understanding of the HC. I need to dig into Freedom a bit more. Just wishful thinking I guess.

From now on when I see an article like this my next step will be to look in Freedom for the same topic.

I really enjoy being a WTM member and the interactions with other members!

Best

Dave

• Roger
    Participant

Hi Dave,
    I think Liam explained that well so I was just going to add that another topic you might enjoy reading about is Integrative Meaning which Jeremy Griffith wrote about in essay 23, because it explains that cooperation isn’t just an idealistic notion that humanity knows and wants but how it fits into the central theme of life.
    I remember how exciting it was reading about these questions / topics / subject when I first came across this information, so enjoy it Dave.

• Chris
    Participant

Great pick up Dave,
    it does get exciting once freedom allows us to access this whole new way of thinking and honest understanding grounded in logic and science. Whenever something in the cave world shows a spark of truth, a flicker of excitement props up in me too! haha and what you said above is perfect, freedom is the bedrock of truth knowledge and veryfying whether what you have discovered is honest knowledge by looking it up in freedom is an awesome way to stay grounded in the truth and compassionate understanding that frees all humans from living out their upset states. thanks for that, as i will be trying to use your strategy as well in the future!