normal
forum

Home Forums The Science Human Cooperation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susy 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
  • Dave
    Participant

Hi,

I read the info in the jounal Nature – Human behavior – and thought I would pass on. https://rdcu.be/87fz Seems like they are looking for infomration from WTM??

Here is a quote: ““Even in difficult situations, the desire for cooperation would appear to often be nascent and the evidence suggests that we are naturals at it, given the opportunity.”

Dave

• Liam
    Participant

Yes the riddle of human cooperation is driving scientists mad. Editorials, whole issues of science magazines are devoted to it. How can we be cooperative when genetics is a selfish system? The answer is right here in Jeremy’s book, which is that we are instinctively selfless, but that we suffer from a psychosis that causes us to be selfish. But because scientists can’t access that obvious truth, they keep assuming we have selfish instincts, and that any form of cooperation must be a subtle form of selfishness, which is the premise that the theories in this Nature editorial are based on. Love indoctrination is the key to how we got our loving instincts but that is something they cant access either. So yes, they are certainly looking for this information Dave! But the dam will break soon enough, and science will be absolutely transformed.

• Dave
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Its exciting for me to see this stuff. I want it to happen!

• Susy
    Participant

I love the heading of this thread! Have just been re-reading Freedom essay 4 on “The ‘instinct vs intellect’ is the obvious and real explanation of our condition, as all these great thinkers evidence” and it’s so relevant to this thread. There is such an amazing collection of quotes from those ‘great thinkers’ on our cooperative heritage as part of that presentation. This one particularly hit home so thought I’d share it:

“I’m reminded of the great Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky’s 1877 intuitive remembrance of our species’ bonobo-like time in innocence—a time when, as he wrote: ‘The grass glowed with bright and fragrant flowers. Birds were flying in flocks in the air, and perched fearlessly on my shoulders and arms and joyfully struck me with their darling, fluttering wings. And at last I saw and knew the people of this happy land. They came to me of themselves, surrounded me, kissed me. The children of the sun, the children of their sun—oh, how beautiful they were!…​Their faces were radiant…​in their words and voices there was a note of childlike joy…​It was the earth untarnished by the Fall; on it lived people who had not sinned…​They desired nothing and were at peace; they did not aspire to knowledge of life as we aspire to understand it, because their lives were full. But their knowledge was higher and deeper than ours…​but I could not understand their knowledge. They showed me their trees, and I could not understand the intense love with which they looked at them; it was as though they were talking with creatures like themselves…​and I am convinced that the trees understood them. They looked at all nature like that—at the animals who lived in peace with them and did not attack them, but loved them, conquered by their love…​There was no quarrelling, no jealousy among them…​for they all made up one family.’ This description of being ‘conquered by their love’ is so like the description given by the bonobo researcher Vanessa Woods, when earlier it was mentioned that she said the bonobos ‘love you with such helpless abandon that you love them back. You have to love them back’. Again we see how accurate our memory is, if we don’t deny it, of what life was like ‘before the fall’.”