normal
forum

Home Topics General Discussion Old Habits

• Author

Roger
      Participant

Hi Clint,
      You’ve touched on a problem that I keep running into in your second sentence.
      I find myself using this information all the time, looking at the world entirely differently now, like I said its exciting, but I also seem to keep catching myself reacting to situations that I can understand but I’m reacting my old way, as though I haven’t come across this explanation on the human condition.
      Behaviours that are exactly what I was excited about not having to do or live out anymore. It’s a bit crazy but I suppose you get so practiced at something that even though I know I don’t have to try and impress someone, get a “win” at work, or look cool at the bar, I catch myself doing it …..its kind of frustrating.
      Roger

Roger
      Participant

Hi Guys,
      Well this isn’t exactly about old habits, but I suppose its a conversation I had with a friend about how we can finally cut to the cause of them.
      I still get so excited talking about the human condition being solved / over, so I was talking to a friend about the human situation, which is great because quietly everyone wants to talk about how the world or their life is a mess, but in the passed I was just confused and sad by the time the conversation was finished.

NOW I was able to say to him that we were really just talking about the symptoms of the human condition, which is just an endless conversation of us all doing the same things in response to life as a posed to the THE EXPLANATION OF THE CAUSED of those problems. And I can see that explanation is the only thing that solves the confusion and resolves all the sadness / hurt that we live with.

Its basically the point the video about “going up the river to see how these people are all falling in” was about.

Even though its its not the real problem its surprising how much easier people find it to talk about symptoms rather than the problem.

I hope that all makes sense.

Roger

Connor
      Connor
      Participant

It all makes sense what you’re saying Roger. You can see evidence of the human condition everywhere e.g. in the everyday news cycle, in the behaviour of people at work or at home or anywhere! But the hardest place to see the human condition is in yourself. We’ve all historically avoided the issue of “self” because we haven’t previously had any explanation for why we behave the way we do. So the great thing now about having the understanding of the human condition (i.e. the core, fundamental explanation for our goodness and the biological defence of our behaviour) is that the whole issue of “self” is completely resolved. Which means it’s not a fearful no-go-zone anymore, which is incredibly relieving. As you said, with this explanation, we finally have the CAUSE of the problems (instead of just explaining or pointing out the symptoms) which is a real game-changer.

Clint
      Participant

G’day Roger, It’s a bit like giving up any habit like smoking for example. Once you have the information that explains why it’s pointless, in fact self destructive to smoke then you make a fundamental decision to stop. But that doesn’t mean you don’t feel like a smoke from time to time or that you might slip and actually have one. The point is that as you persevere you become freer and freer of the old habit until you’ve broken it’s spell completely. What you will never forget is the day you decided to give up because in a sense this is the moment of complete clarity where the fundamental decision was made and you know that you can grow the macro decision from that point. It seems trite to mention smoking because the freedom you will experience from the Transformed State that this information allows, dwarfs any old world comparison a bazillion times over. Humanity’s future literally unfolds before your eyes and the stagnant, human condition affected, dead end life we think is our reality evaporates and is replaced with an optimism and hope that was previously only abstractly accessible through great art, rhyme, music etc. And once the great hope of peace on earth that humanity has always longed for becomes the reality then whether or not we “look cool at the bar” probably wont bother us too much any more.

Roger
      Participant

Hi Clint,
      I’ve been meaning to write this for yonks because its been sooooo helpful for me. I don’t know how many times the smoking analogy, and the comment about the decision to give up being a true moment of clarity, has got me out of a corner. It is such an underlying truth.
      Thanks again.

I really like what you have written here Clint. It reminded me of the story about the blind woman on a bus that starkly illustrates the defusing affect understanding what is causing our insecure behaviour has. It’s in Video 4, to quote the transcript ‘Let’s Go’ page 19:
      “I have another great little story to help illustrate how understanding completely transforms our situation.
      Imagine you’re standing on a crowded bus in the middle of peak hour and the person next to you has bad breath and you’re hot and exhausted and frustrated and you just need to get home. And from somewhere behind you, you start to feel something whacking you on the leg. This goes on and on, and with each whack you get more angry. In fact, aftera while you’re absolutely furious and so suddenly decide to turn around and throttle the bastard who’s doing it. But when you turn around, you realise it’s an old blind woman knocking you with her cane by mistake as she tries to get her bearings. Well, the effect of this discovery is that it instantly and completely changes the way you feel. Finally able to understand the situation, all the fury abates and relief and calm floods through you. You don’t feel like a victim anymore. The whole situation has been turned around by being able to understand it.
      And it is like that, but on a much, much bigger scale when you understand the human condition.”

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Old Habits
Your information: