normal
forum

Home Topics General Discussion Question

• Author

Anonymous
      Inactive

How can I honestly say anything about the past or the future other than I know where I came from and where I am going? When I think I am reminded of who I am only with respect to where I’ve been, but because I know ‘what’ I am I understand that any conceptualization of my identity based on my past experiences are illusory. Knowing that, I can’t truthfully claim to make objectively accurate qualitative judgments about other human beings or their beliefs. By knowing myself I can know all people, but knowing a person means understanding them, not telling them what is good for them, or why they or wrong, or even what they are, which every person must come to learn on their own if they are to ever understand it.

Thoughts?

Ben
      Participant

Mate, I’m not sure I actually understand what you are saying!But could I suggest you read some of Griffith’s work if you haven’t alreadyIt certainly opens your viewpoint in ways I never thought possible and gives you an incredible insight into knowing yourself and others.

Thoughts? Thoughts?! Intellectual garble? Mind you I’m not sure it is intellectual because it’s so pointless. I agree with Ben if you actually have any interest in Griffith’s work but it’s so far from anything in the stratosphere of what Griffith explains that I don’t really know what you’re doing here?

serento
      Participant

I definately find it hard to understand that. Whats so good about this stuff is that it has a hard edge. That pseudo spiritual stuff used to just make me wild. Like one hand clapping and all that. Spare me.

This information does free you from your past in that it defends all our behavior. In that sense Paul is on the ball.

My thoughts for what they are worth. We have lived so long without understanding of the human condition that when we find it, its hard to change your life and thinking accordingly. I find myself acting and thinking in the same ways I always have, and then find myself thinking ‘isn’t that redundant now?’ because I have this deeper understanding or as they say, defence, for myself. There is a word I have come across that the the WTM use that I wasn’t familiar with before, called ‘habituation’. If you search this on this website, is lots of good information about learning to live with this new information. I hope that is helpful for someone. Bless you all.

Stefan
      Stefan
      Participant

Yes, this is helpful. Thank you pixie! It made me think of this WTM tweet: https://twitter.com/World_Transform/status/789808288376295424

To the original author of this topic: I kind of get what you’re saying (at least the implications of it) and I think you’re right. People must come to learn on their own if they are ever to understand it (I’m just using your words because I don’t know how to really describe it). This is a personal journey each and everyone of us is on (I’m certainly on it). But there’s also a shared journey we’re all on as a species or super organism if you want. Within this super organism there are individuals explaining what’s going on and there are people telling others what to do. But this is not necessarily bad. It’s not making that much of a difference anyway after all (on a personal level), because people really do have to learn on their own. But we can help each other by spreading some truth.

Richard
      Participant

To the original comment of: “By knowing myself I can know all people, but knowing a person means understanding them, not telling them what is good for them, or why they or wrong, or even what they are, which every person must come to learn on their own if they are to ever understand it”;
      My thoughts are: The greatest help I have had in getting to ‘know’ and ‘understand’ myself has been this book.

PaulM
      Participant

Good call Richard. Same for me. I had no idea I was on a treadmill trying to prove myself the whole time. I had no idea that I was driven by an insecurity about whether I was fundamentally good or not. I was so caught up in it all that I simply had no idea at all. Wow, what a change.

Agree completely, what an eye-opener reading Jeremy Griffith’s work has been to a point of view I’d never considered. Homepage videos cut through it all amazingly well, especially the first one. Impressive, clear, consice. Tony Gowing you can explain why this solves everything to me any time you like…

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: Question
Your information: