normal
forum

Home Topics General Discussion The claims of this book

• Author

Richard
      Participant

Hi Forum, first post so go easy on me :)
      What piqued my interest in this book and this website was seeing an ad in the New York Times with “The Book That Saves The World”. I thought that sounded interesting but full of hubris so I had to investigate the claims for myself. So I grabbed a copy from my local book-store.
      My level of skepticism was sky-high when I begun reading the book – and I didn’t get far past the glowing introduction and Chapt 1. I put it among the growing pile of ‘potentially-interesting-books-to-read-one-day’ and went onto my next reading project.
      But the unorthodox nature of FREEDOM, the style it is written, the big claims – they stuck with me. And also the nature of the subject: the human condition – this has always been a fascination of mine [side-note – at college I once painted a self portrait of myself title ‘You are the human condition’. Needless to say it wasn’t pretty and there was a lot of blood-red used..]. And I couldn’t dismiss the statement on the back of the book: “the great fear is we’re entering endgame where we appear to have lost the race between self-destruction and self-understanding”. In fact this is what I was most convinced of: that we are just too selfish, too narrow-minded and dumb, too much of a cancer on the planet to not f#ck this all up and end up like the human adults in the disney movie WALL-E (watch it if you haven’t already for a fair assessment of our future based on our current trajectory). I mean look at who we vote to run our country!!
      So anyway, I grinded away against my hesitations, poured myself another coffee and got through the book.
      It’s only early days, but I feel like my personal and world view have certainly shifted ground. I honestly was so convinced we had no hope, but now i see there is not only hope but huge potential and possibility. This is so far beyond the tribe mentality that govern our thoughts and actions.
      This explanation really has to get out there into the masses. When people can understand that we are not cancers on the planet, and that on a personal level we CAN accept ourselves, everything does change. Self loathing and all the destructive behavior that entails can end. For me, I have been able to ‘take the hammer off’ but only through this self-acceptance.
      My world view – of despising my fellow man has ceased. Me, you, the Iranian running the corner store, are all part of the incredible fabric of life and are all equally heroic.
      So to all that cringe at the claims, are skeptical, are doubtful, or are boxing this as some hubristic rant – try wading into this with the mindset that ‘if this really does change the world, would it not say so?’. I am glad I did :)

enjoyed reading your post as it reflects my thoughts upon glancing/discovering/buying the book on a shiny bookstore shelf. I’ve only begun reading (Chapter 2), but already can see the parallels in this book with the revelations that I initially received from intensive bible study. I always seem to discover gaps or questions about my own faith even with regular bible study. This book has (in a way) already served to begin closing the gaps. I’ve long suspected that my bible based social constructs may be somewhat in conflict with values and ideas that civilization has now (somewhat recently) adapted thanks to education/literacy/access to information. Such previous learning/discovery barriers now having being broken down by the internet. I was fearing this access to knowledge and/or ideas may have created a stronger inclination among the average guy/girl that they have overcome their egocentric worldviews and are living a more honest and informed existence. This would contrast with my default presumption that the benefits of community engagement using moral/ethical guidelines provided by Judao Christian scriptural texts were more important. I’m expecting this book to improve and enhance my understanding of the biblical texts. Perhaps I will discover the links are more than just coincidence.

abi
      Participant

I was drawn to the big claims as well. And terrified of where we seemed to be heading. So I was sceptical, but definitely curious. And I am persuaded I have to say, by the neatness of it. If the human condition is behind all the planets ailments (barring earthquakes and the like), and the human condition is a psychosis (which I am convinced it is), then if you bring healing understanding to that psychosis, then it follows that it does save the world!
      I cant imagine what this book does for someone with a religious background. To say the least, it must be a very interesting journey applying it to religious understandings.

Ronald
      Participant

Hi abi, I don’t know if you’ve watched any of the webinars, but there was a Canadian Lad on who was of a pretty religious background. You might find it interesting to watch.
      But for sure there’s a lot of pretty harsh but fair criticism in the book. I’m just surprised that the gay, black, brown, green, feminist, vegan,left wing, right wing, sit-on-the-fence,church of the holy cat aren’t down on it like a ton of bricks !
      All joking aside, the book has answered so many fundamental questions for me that I was left shaken after reading it.

Matt
      Participant

abi I think the key for religious people is for them not to be fundamentalist. I would call myself mainstream religious, but I am not against the idea that the ideas in the Bible can be demystified. I may be in the minority, but I think you will find there are a lot of people like me around.

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: The claims of this book
Your information: