normal
forum

Home Topics The Science The Source of Human Altruism

• Author

PaulM
      Participant

During my scans of the various science periodicals, Scientific American, Science Magazine, Discover etc, I have noticed a distinct rise in the number of articles about the source of human altruism. They all wrestle with the issue of how it could arise given the ‘survival of the fittest’ demands of natural selection. In my opinion, one of the most interesting aspects of Griffith’s work is his Love Indoctrination theory, which addresses this issue. Obviously, there is also the associated data from bonobos and the fossil record, and even the precursory thinking of John Fiske, which is all fascinating to me.

Parsimony
      Participant

You can find a good example of science’s refusal to look into love-indoctrination in its reliance upon chimpanzees for comparison with humans, rather than bonobos. In a recent article in Science Daily, a scientist observes, “Almost all comparative research into human evolution compares us to chimpanzees, with the extreme territorial violence observed in chimpanzees used as evidence that their behaviour provides an evolutionary basis for warfare among humans.” However, on many levels, but particulary with regard to the size of their canines, bonobos better resemble our human ancestors. The anthropaleologist John Hawks has said, “The main distinguishing feature of early hominids is a reduction in the size and projection of the canine teeth, in both sexes.” So even though THE MAIN DISTINGUISHING FEATURE of early hominids is small canines, and Chimpanzees have large pronounced canines, and of all the great apes, only bonobos have small canines, scientists keep comparing early humans to chimpanzees, not bonobos. So I would say that is clear evidence of the ‘confronting’ nature of the nurturing hypothesis.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: The Source of Human Altruism
Your information: