normal
forum

Home Forums The Transformation Why is understanding so frightening?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • MartyR
      Participant

Hi all

I still can’t quite grasp what is so frightening about understanding the human condition? Why are we so fearful to know the truth about ourselves I.e that we are fundamentally good? I have known fear of the past and I think it has affected my life significantly, but I’m not sure how this particular revelation does that. I’d appreciate someone explaining this is more depth. Thanks.

• Tommy
      Participant

You’re spot on Marty, this information does explain we are upset but fundamentally good and that golden truth opens up a whole new world for humans free of any condemnation or guilt or insecurity. There aren’t any truths now that condemn or hurt us now we can understand the human condition. Our fear of the human condition is really a thing of the past, when we didn’t have understanding. It certainly does take time to adjust to having the ‘lights on’ which is a process to be respected, but I’m with you, let’s live in world of knowledge this explanation opens up!

• Linda Susan
      Participant

Hello MartyR
      I can only offer my own understanding as to why Comprehending the scientific answer is so frightening for Some.
      I came to this book and to this forum with great expectations. I haven’t been disappointed. I am overwhelmed with joy
      and gratitude for its’ revelations of resolution and reconciliation of science with religions/philosophies/myths/the arts etc.
      But for those who still live in the denial location, within circumscribed and conditioned lives it must be a very threatening
      book.
      I remember reading a wonderfully joyful and then awful statement- but a profoundly true and tragic one: ‘We must see that the tree bears beautiful flowers and fruits but also see the man hanging from the bough’ I think this sentence was referenced in Helen M. Luke’s book
      The Perennial Feminine.
      Such an image reminds us that we within beauty and tragedy.
      I was born into a home where my dear, suffering and beloved father was a very conservative, traditional Roman Catholic. My mother
      hated the church and would have NOTHING to do with it. She was a joyous, warm and loving mother and a beautiful person.
      My dear father suffered agonies of guilt over the fact that my mother didn’t follow his version, the dogmatic one, of the Catholic theology.
      I was terrified by my own thoughts of this ‘frightful God’ thing and suffered torments, inner, warring battles with this – maniac of a God.
      I eventually threw HIM over but the consequences were far reaching.
      I think it must be, to those who believe in any religion, an enormous, terrifying realization that there ‘God’ may not be all that HE is cooked-up to be. Such protective ‘denials’ cocoon the individual and this paralyzed condition is the slow dying of their fearful lives.
      This is a terrible inner battle. It threatens not only the structures of their lives but unearths the very foundations of the citadel.
      When there is only this inner, traumatized disintegration on offer, the individual life ‘resigns’becommes ‘selectively deaf’ and ‘resigns’ into a inner, some-kind-of comforting zone, impermeable to all threats.
      This ‘refuge’ of NOT KNOWING but refusing any kind of threatening explanation of The Human Condition condemns the poor, solitary soul to a life that is totally superficial, inauthentic and ultimately wrought with fear and dread.
      Coming Out is just too agonizing so lives are lived in a sort of silent desperation, superficially filled with multiple, meaningless distractions and endless diversions.
      I can still feel the fear of my impending trauma from many years ago.
      Like Kierkegaard’s Sickness Unto Death, Kafka’s Trial and Metamorphosis and The Myth of Sisyphus.
      So DREAD is an enormous block – for believers in Religions.
      They simply cannot conceive of these stories as myths, their whole existence is based on the TRUTH of these myths being ACTUAL events.
      That’s the tragedy.
      And then there is the constant, incessant flow of global multi=media bombarding uncritical minds who watch mesmerized at the nonsense that is daily pumped-out.
      The world is in chaos and some people run for cover in the cave of ignorance and diversion.

• RJ
      Participant

Well said again Linda, all I would add is that what you describe is not just for those who are religious. I’ve learnt from the WTM material and have seen very much in myself that not having had any answers for 2 million years, the human condition is a subject that we, the whole human race has feared. The whole issue of ‘self’, of are we good or bad, has been really quite terrifying for us all, while there wasn’t understanding. The ‘superficial’ life you describe is where we had to live, it was the price we paid but is now revealed as being the right and meaningful thing to do while we were still searching for knowledge. As Tommy says now we do have compassionate understanding of ourselves this fear is obsolete, and we can safely come into ‘the light’, what a relief (understatement of the year)!

• Linda Susan
      Participant

Hi RJ,
      Yes, absolutely. I know that my own specific case was religious trauma. I agree with you completely that it is the entire human species that has suffered for multiple reasons. Unity in diversity now. At least for those who receive the gift that Jeremy’s work has so beautifully expressed.
      But all the old terminology still holds true. The notions of redemption/salvation, the ideas of Eden/paradise/valhalla. All metaphors for the perennial search for peace and understanding.
      Truthfully I never gave a toss for the God idea. I actually loathed ‘HIM’. But the Jesus figure, like so many counterparts before him, was a tragic, solitary soul.
      I remember seeing Jesus Christ Superstar and being so profoundly moved by the song: I Only Want to Say. It was heartbreaking. Jesus reaching a state of terror at the full realization of what lay ahead. His torment and his pleading that if only ‘This cup of poison’ could be taken away from him. As the full terror of his dying on the cross reaches its apogee Jesus agonizes in doubt about the terrible death that awaits him: He questions ‘God’ and demands to know that his own crucifixion will not be in vain. As the inner tension mounts he cries:
      ‘Show me just a little
      Of your omnipresent brain
      Show me there’s a reason
      For your wanting me to die
      You’re far too keen on where and how
      But not so hot on why’.
      But so many great souls have arisen throughout human history to speak out against injustice. The Buddha, 500 years bc. Mahatma Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama etc.
      The Dalai Lama states that humankind should find ‘salvation’ through the meaning of the symbols in their own specific cultures. Like Joseph Campbell, who saw universal correspondences throughout the complete range of every myth in written history.
      Jeremy Griffith’s mammoth task has brought us back, through the scientific/aesthetic comprehension: ‘…..and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time’ T.S.Eliot..

Viewing 4 reply threads